Friday, March 23, 2007

Best Wishes to the Edwards Family

I have been unsure if I should post this here, but I have decided that it makes sense to take a break from this being a blog with a mission to promote a particular candidate and instead write something a little more personal.

As I am sure you all know by now, Senator Edwards' wife Elizabeth is again fighting breast cancer. (If you have not been following the story, read here) Edwards will continue his campaign while his wife seeks treatment - either alone being quite a task, and certainly to do both at once will be a stressful and emotional feat.

While we certainly should continue to debate on the things that matter, I think the media coverage and blog talk of if this will help Edwards get "sympathy" votes and the like is incredibly tacky and you can expect not to hear any such thing from this blog.

It is a great and noble choice to be involved in public life, and it is not easy on one's family under the best of circumstances. I personally wish the Edwards' all the best, and I hope that Mrs. Edwards health improves. I also sincerly hope that we can be respectful and use this only to raise awareness about how many women from all walks of life are struck with breast cancer each year and not as a political tool for or against his campaign.

No comments: