Thursday, February 22, 2007

Someone Is a Few Dollars Short of a Suit...

I know Governor Richardson has said this should be a positive campaign and Democrats should not go around attacking each other.

That said, I would be remiss as a blogger not to point out the strangest part of the "Nev-AD-ah" forum -- this exchange between Stephanopoulos and Mike Gravel (as reported by The Politico):

The second gaffe involved Stephanopoulos’s suit. It drew the attention, if not the outright ire, of the most obscure presidential candidate in the race, Mike Gravel (Gra-VEL), former senator from Alaska, who wants to replace the federal income tax with a national sales tax.

“The sales tax is not regressive; it is progressive. I’ve got a $250 suit, and you probably have got a $2,000 suit,” Gravel said to Stephanopoulos.

Then Gravel turned to the audience: “So he (is paying) more taxes than I am. The wealthy would pay more than I am.”

“Your time is up!” Stephanopoulos said to him.

“What do you mean my time is up?” Gravel said. “I am just getting started!”

And then Gravel made a public appeal for funds. “All I need is $10,000 and I can win with this thing!” he said.

So if Stephanopoulos gave him just five suits...

No comments: